Position S&T Technician
Safety Critical Yes
Job Purpose To carry out the first-line maintenance and faulting on the S&T equipment of the Metrolink system in a safe and cost-effective manner.
Accountable to The role reports to the S&T Senior Technician & S&T Team Manager.
Main Working relationships S&T Maintenance Manager, Assistant S&T Maintenance Manager, S&T Team Manager, S&T Senior Technician.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Carry out the first line maintenance on the signalling, communications and control systems of the Metrolink system in a safe and cost-effective manner working in accordance to current standards and practices
- Provide assistance and support to the Senior Technician fault finding on signalling and telecommunications systems within the NMC/DRC, TMS system, signalling and interlockings, Points and Point control equipment, MESH and Voice radio systems, TEML41, SCADA systems and Passenger information, UPS, CCTV and help point systems
- Assist in the investigation of incidents, SPAD/SPAS and wrong side failures as required and directed by the Senior Technician
- Assist the Senior Technician in ensuring all relevant paperwork is completed including Agility work orders
- Take reasonable care for their own health and safety
- Consider the safety of other persons who may be affected by their acts and omissions
- Work in accordance with information and training provided
- Refrain from intentionally misusing or recklessly interfering with anything that has been provided for health and safety reasons
- Report any hazardous defects in plant and equipment, or shortcomings in the existing safety arrangements, to a responsible person without delay
- Not undertake any task for which authorisation and/or training has not been given
- Use Personal Protective Equipment provided to them in accordance with the training given to them and the instructions respecting its use
- Most Challenging or difficult parts of the job
- The role includes varied works within control centre and railway environments and requires the candidate to be physically fit and able to perform strenuous tasks.
- The role requires personnel to deal with pressure in a positive way.
- Ability to manage expectations with both technical and non-technical members of the business.
Core skills/experience/qualifications required for this job
- Minimum of ONC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, telecommunications or equivalent.
- 2 years relevant experience in the industry.
- Ability to demonstrate logical fault-finding techniques.
- Strong IT skills
- Knowledge of IP systems
- Full current driving licence
- Strives for new skills, knowledge, experience and personal development
- Takes personal responsibility to resolve problems, even those not of own making
- Develops positive relationships, cooperates with, and supports colleagues
- Handles stress, conflict and pressure in a positive way
- Manages upwards and sideways (your managerial superiors and your peers)
- Contributes positively to team/company morale and spirit
- Offers recommendations and suggestions, more than asking for answers