Purpose of the Role
To undertake the safe and efficient driving and operation of trains as directed on weekly roster and diagrams
Key Success Measures
- Safety – Support the implementation of the the companies Safety, Health, Environment and Quality (SHEQ) strategy, associated actions and resulting initiatives, to deliver continuous improvement in all areas.
- Profitability – Ensure work is carried out with a continuous view to profitability and efficiency and look after our shareholders by guaranteeing that they see value for money and a profitable business.
- Quality – Quality is key to competitiveness. Take responsibility for delivering on time and on budget a high quality product or service, which the company can take pride in.
- Respect – Demonstrate respect for colleagues, our clients and the environment in all areas of work.
Key Areas of Responsibility & Accountability
- Responsible for the safe, efficient and productive operation of freight trains.
- Carry out train driving duties in accordance with laid down procedures.
- Ensure safety of the line and all employees and public that may be affected by the operation of trains.
- Undertake locomotive preparation and disposal duties, and fuel locomotives when required.
- Undertake in-service locomotive, train faultfinding, and assist in repairs where competent.
- Record and report locomotive and train defects in accordance with Rulebook and Company Procedures
- Prepare locomotives for service.
- Undertake train preparation/train “in service” freight examination and loads examination duties.
- Carry out the “simplified” brake test as directed.
- Undertake route learning as directed and sign for routes after sufficient time for learning.
- Assist maintenance staff and undertake “weekly” locomotive exams as required.
- Work various shift patterns including nights, weekends and bank holidays.
- Must be prepared to lodge away from home, when required.
- Ensure the highest level of professionalism when dealing with other individuals within the company, clients and members of the public.
- As you will expect the organization may change from time to time and you will be expected to meet the operational requirements.
- Any other reasonable duties as required from time to time
- Person Specification
The job holder will have;
· Appropriate traction knowledge
· Freight rules & regulations
· Route knowledge
· Basic wagon knowledge
· Personal Track Safety
- Energy – ‘Get up and go’ attitude of a leader
- Energise – Lead, manage and inspire my team
- Edge – Maximise my personal edge
- Execute – Make things happen
- Engage – Stay close to the client